Microsoft has been successful in most cases approving headlines for its Microsoft Band health tracker and accompanying Microsoft Well being platform, since each had been published – reputedly by chance to start with – on Wednesday.
One of the crucial key issues about each and tool is their cross-platform nature: they received’t simply be limited to other people with a Home windows Telephone smartphone and/or a pc operating the Home windows OS. They’ll additionally make stronger Android, iOS and Mac.
Microsoft Well being could also be open to different units and apps, with Jawbone’s Up and the apps MapMyFitness, MyFitnessPal and RunKeeper the primary to be introduced.
“We plan to have a normal cadence of Microsoft Well being bulletins together with further software and repair partnerships, SDK availability and further cross-platform programs and products and services,” blogged Microsoft’s Todd Holmdahl.
Integrating different health apps isn’t peculiar: it’s an way additionally being taken by way of Apple’s Well being app and HealthKit API, in addition to Google Have compatibility, which additionally introduced this week. In the meantime, makers together with Fitbit, Withings and Jawbone have constructed a community of data-sharing offers to paintings with apps past their very own.
Even so, Microsoft Well being’s dedication to cross-platform is notable, if most likely crucial given the rather small marketplace proportion of Home windows Telephone. Do you suppose it provides the corporate’s new project a wholesome likelihood of attracting other people? The feedback phase is open on your perspectives.
Any other meals for tech concept and dialogue this morning:
- Former Android boss Andy Rubin is leaving Google, however his plans sound lovely attention-grabbing: in line with the Wall Boulevard Magazine he’ll be “beginning an incubator for startups occupied with construction generation merchandise”. It stresses that Rubin’s departure doesn’t imply Google is cooling at the robotics area. Most certainly a excellent factor, given all the ones acquisitions…
- Speaking of robots, right here’s a brand new find out about from scientists at Oregon State College, the Royal Veterinary Faculty and others suggesting that roboticists can be informed so much from operating birds. “We must in the long run be capable of encode this working out into legged robots so the robots can run with extra pace and agility in rugged terrain.”
- Extra birds: Warblr is an intriguing Kickstarter crowdfunding marketing campaign for “an audio reputation app for birdsong”. Principally it’s Shazam on your lawn: educated on recordings of greater than 80 British species, it lets you file a chook’s tune after which establish it.
- Tune business weblog China Tune Trade has a excellent interview about highbrow assets rights in China. “As China inevitably strikes from a producing economic system to an innovation economic system – that means that businesses want to innovate to stick forward of competition – you’ll see home corporations that when infringed IP begin to use the regulations to offer protection to their IP…”
- In any case, CNN has been chatting with Humanetics, which makes crash take a look at dummies, about its paintings on a brand new overweight style. “Overweight persons are 78% much more likely to die in a crash. The reason being the way in which we get fats. We get fats in our heart vary. And we get out of place in a standard seat.” The corporate could also be operating on a style that may replicate age in addition to dimension.
What do you recall to mind those tales, and what else have you ever observed nowadays that you just suppose fellow Parent Tech readers would experience chatting about? The dialogue is open.