In the event you’ve bought a BlackBerry Daring smartphone on eBay not too long ago, it may well be to Kim Kardashian. “They don’t also have them in shops anymore. I purchase them on eBay,” she instructed a convention previous this week, explaining her love for the venerable keyboard telephone.
No marvel she hasn’t unboxed her new BlackBerry Passport smartphone but. However Kardashian isn’t on my own in sticking to the Daring-era instrument, and the corporate is easily conscious about that pattern. Right here’s CEO John Chen, running a blog the day before today in regards to the subsequent new BlackBerry smartphone.
It’s tempting in a all of a sudden converting, all of a sudden rising cell marketplace to modify for the sake of trade – to imitate what’s stylish and fit the industry-standard, kitchen-sink method of seeking to be all issues to all folks.
However there’s additionally one thing to be stated for the vintage adage, if it ain’t broke don’t repair it.
BlackBerry Vintage displays that. It’s vintage BlackBerry – entire with a best row of navigation keys and a trackpad. It’s the instrument that has all the time felt proper to your arms and all the time felt proper to your busy day.
Sure, the BlackBerry Vintage objectives to tempt BlackBerry loyalists clear of eBay and in opposition to a brand spanking new handset. Is the corporate onto one thing right here? And is there a much wider alternative being neglected by means of Android smartphone makers, if there are nonetheless folks available in the market yearning bodily QWERTY keyboards on their gadgets?
Additionally at the radar these days:
- Movie director James Cameron isn’t bought on Oculus Rift and VR headsets but. “There appears to be a large number of pleasure round one thing this is… a yawn to me,” he instructed the WSJD convention. “You wish to have to transport thru a digital truth? It’s known as online game.”
- The CEO of Cambrian Genomics sounds slightly like a sci-fi supervillain. “We wish to make the whole thing this is alive on this planet… We wish to make completely new organisms that experience by no means existed, and exchange each present organism with a greater one.”
- Messaging app WhatsApp received’t be introducing voice calling till 2015, in step with CEO Jan Koum. “He famous that WhatsApp is operating thru a number of technical problems associated with the release, together with the truth that the app does no longer have get admission to to sure telephone microphones, which makes noise cancellation tougher.”
- Apple is exploring the prospective to promote iPhones in Iran, claims the Wall Boulevard Magazine. “Within the conversations, the Cupertino, Calif., corporate explored the potential for having Iranian companions promote Apple merchandise at so-called top rate resellers.”
- Startup MegaBots has raised $1.8m to construct what Engadget describes as “15-foot-tall, 15,000-pound piloted robots” who’ll struggle one every other with “high-powered paint weapons” for our amusement. This without a doubt received’t finish neatly for humanity.
What do you’re making of those tales, and what else within the tech international is fascinating you these days? The feedback segment is open to your perspectives.