At a surveillance centre in Kaliningrad, tracking groups are preserving an in depth eye at the town.
Sitting at their computer systems, personnel are learning CCTV photographs from greater than 700 safety cameras. Every other 1,200 cameras were put in at Kaliningrad Stadium, the place England play Belgium on 28 June.
With the newest face-recognition era, people are checked mechanically in a police database inside of seconds of being stuck on digital camera. An identical safety programs are in operation within the different Global Cup host towns.
“On the subject of anti-terrorism, the program will lend a hand find suspicious folks,” says Sergei Evstigneev from the Kaliningrad regional govt. “It is going to permit the police to watch their actions and react to any state of affairs.”
However safety cameras are simply the primary line of defence.
In Kaliningrad, native safety forces were coaching to react to a conceivable terrorist assault all the way through the Global Cup.
In a single workout, elite gadgets – the “Spetsnaz” – parachuted into the soccer stadium to maintain a hostage state of affairs.
In a dramatic coaching video launched through Russia’s inner safety carrier, the FSB, particular forces armed with Kalashnikovs are proven struggling with to protected the venue.
Extra at the Global Cup
Russia is aware of that its army operation in Syria makes it a goal for terrorists.
In fresh weeks, the ones sympathetic to the Islamic State staff have issued threats by the use of the web in opposition to the Global Cup.
This can be scaremongering, however the Russian government are taking no possibilities. They’ve deployed the military, the military and the air pressure to spice up safety.
The FSB claims to have exposed terror cells in different Global Cup host towns, together with Kaliningrad and St Petersburg. It has made a string of arrests.
“The Russian FSB does now not in point of fact care a lot about human rights,” believes safety analyst Pavel Felgenhauer.
“They are disposing of of stream everybody they consider is a possible danger, it doesn’t matter what. They put them in custody, possibly in jail; individuals who could also be blameless, however they it seems that consider that it is higher to take 10 blameless guys off the road than let one terrorist have a run.”
The safety problem is substantial: to give protection to now not most effective stadiums, coaching grounds and fan zones, however all crowded public spaces, from buying groceries centres to squares and public delivery.
“It is vitally laborious to stop a knife assault someplace on the street,” explains Mr Felgenhauer, “or to forestall anyone stealing a automobile and slamming into pedestrians. There also are inclined issues in giant towns like Moscow and St Petersburg. The Metro networks there were attacked ahead of.”
Russia is aware of that there’s no such factor as “100% safety”. However officers are assured the event will move off safely.
“Consider me, the protection measures we’re taking are exceptional,” Global Cup safety leader Alexei Lavrishchev assures me.
“They’re in accordance with our personal revel in of offering safety for such occasions, plus world revel in. There are enough measures in position to make sure that soccer enthusiasts, vacationers and Russian electorate will really feel relaxed and secure.”
Russia’s Global Cup towns: Kazan to Yekaterinburg
Via BBC Tracking
- 1&2: Moscow (Luzhniki and Spartak stadiums): The capital’s ornate metro stations have a unique public cope with gadget for blind passengers – bulletins heading to the town centre are made through male audio system, and women folk on how one can the suburbs
- three: Nizhny Novgorod: Ancient business centre as soon as closed to non-residents because of its “essential infrastructure”
- four: Saransk: Smallest host town – ready to tie the knot have opted to put off their nuptials till after the event
- five: Kazan: Referred to as Russia’s 3rd capital – will give guests the danger to play soccer in knight’s armour
- 6: Samara: Well-known for its lager referred to as Zhigulyovskoe, which may also be sampled on the well-known bar “Na Dne” (On the Backside)
- 7: Yekaterinburg: Russia’s fourth greatest town has put in a “metal soccer crew”
- eight: St Petersburg: Constructed on swampland, Russia’s 2d town used to be at first house to many participants of the ruling elite together with President Vladimir Putin
- nine: Kaliningrad: German Thinker Immanuel Kant is an honorary citizen of the town that reportedly produces 90% of the arena’s amber
- 10: Volgograd: Scene of the combat of Stalingrad in Global Warfare Two, the town produces mustard oil – a well-liked memento amongst guests
- 11: Rostov-on-Don: Locals in a single district must get through with out buses which were diverted for the event
- 12: Sochi: One of the crucial longest towns in Europe, stretches 148km (92 miles) alongside the Black Beach