When it unveiled iOS 13 and iPadOS closing month, Apple had unhealthy information for the ones depending on iPhones that debuted in 2013 and 2014 and disregarded shoppers with an iPad Mini from the similar years or a 2013 authentic iPad Air.
Consistent with Apple, iOS 13 – most likely shot out of Cupertino in September – will probably be supported on those gadgets:
- iPhone XS, XS Max, XR (2018)
- iPhone X, eight and eight Plus (2017)
- iPhone 7 and seven Plus (2016)
- iPhone 6S and 6S Plus (2015)
- iPhone SE (2016)
- iPod Contact, seventh technology (2019)
This yr’s checklist is very similar to, however no longer similar to the only Apple issued for iOS 12 in 2018. A number of fashions had been minimize from 13’s line-up, in particular:
- iPhone 5S (2013)
- iPhone 6 and six Plus (2014)
- iPod contact, sixth technology (2015)
Every now and then, Apple has held the iOS toughen line for a yr – it did simply that during 2018, when the checklist was once similar to 2017’s. However extra regularly, the corporate moves the oldest gadgets, belatedly acknowledging what many customers had concluded previous: that the hardware could not execute the brand new OS and/or run fresh apps with out moving into tortoise mode.
This yr’s cull was once similar to 2017’s, when that fall’s iOS 11 declined to run at the then-aged iPhone Five (2012), iPhone 5C (2013) and 4th technology iPad (2012).
iPadOS dismisses a couple of pills
The brand new spin-off from iOS that Apple’s billed as “[built on] the similar basis as iOS, including robust new features and intuitive options explicit to the massive show and flexibility of iPad,” has its personal checklist of supported pills, separated from the once-master line-up of all cellular gadgets.
iPadOS will probably be supported on:
- 12.Nine-inch iPad Professional (2015-2018)
- 11-inch iPad Professional (2018)
- 10.Five-inch iPad Professional (2017)
- Nine.7-inch iPad Professional (2016)
- iPad, fifth and sixth generations (2017-2018)
- iPad mini, fifth technology (2019)
- iPad mini four (2015)
- iPad Air, third technology (2019)
- iPad Air 2 (2014)
As at the iOS-iPhone facet of Apple, this yr’s iPadOS-iPad platform had a couple of no-shows that had been at the 2018 checklist, even though the latter retained 2015’s gadgets. Those fashions were winnowed:
- iPad Mini 2 and Mini three (2013-2014)
- iPad Air (authentic, 2013)
Apple additionally indexed the Mac fashions that may run the approaching macOS 10.15, aka Catalina, when it delivers that improve. For its non-public pc line, Apple will retain the prior yr’s fashions at the new model’s toughen checklist.
iOS 13 and iPadOS will probably be presented as a unfastened over-the-air improve after they release q4.