Beginning at the again 9, back-to-back double bogeys at the 13th and 14th put him in a deep hollow and issues endured to simply worsen. Some other 6 at the par-Four 1st hollow adopted through a bogey at the 2d noticed his ranking at 10-over par after simply 11 holes. Yikes.
McIlroy has hit best 21.three p.c of vegetables in law, and a few of his misses had been unsightly. After hitting right into a fairway bunker at the 16th, he didn’t transparent the lip of the lure and the ball bounced immediately up within the air.
Birdies at the fifth and sixth have mitigated one of the most carnage on his scorecard, however he’s nonetheless taking a look at a ranking drawing near the 80s.
Wind is Wreaking Havoc Early; Worse Coming
Maximum avid gamers at Shinnecock will have to know that the wind is at all times an element. No longer certain they anticipated Spherical 1 to move like this, even though.
The wind has been blowing frequently at 15 to 20 mph all the way through the morning and gusts are anticipated to succeed in 30 mph within the afternoon. This has made issues difficult now not only for using and drawing near, however difficult for placing as neatly.
At the par-Four 14th, Scott Stallings reached the fairway in 3 after which wanted six putts to complete the outlet. The second one hollow, a 255-yard par three this is enjoying into the wind, has additionally been nightmarish for a large number of teams.
In search of Birdie
Jason Day has bogeyed 8 of the 14 holes he’s performed to this point these days, and he shot every of the opposite six at par. It’s been a coarse spherical for many avid gamers who teed off this morning. Most effective two — Scott Piercy and Ian Poulter — are underneath par.
U.S. Open Spherical 1 Best Tale Strains
• The tale of Day 1 is also the fescue. The usG.A. introduced in just about 200,000 sq. toes of the tall grass to enclose the fairways that have been widened after 2004. And avid gamers are discovering that it’s best to influence transparent.
• The “Tremendous Staff” of Phil Mickelson, Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy isn’t residing as much as its billing. The trio blended for 9 bogeys, 3 double-bogeys and just one birdie via 8 holes.
• McIlroy had an embarrassing misfire out of a bunker at the 16th; the ball hit the lip and bounced immediately up within the air.
• In search of his first main name, Charley Hoffman (-1) were given off to an early lead with two birdies in his first 4 holes. However he additionally didn’t need to take care of the entire early-morning visitors getting into. He’s staying in an RV this week parked inside of strolling distance of the route.
• Tiger Woods will tee off at 1:47 p.m. Jap. He’s grouped with PGA Championship winner Justin Thomas.
Proceed studying the primary tale