Quarterbacks have a integrated benefit. It didn’t was this manner. In a 12-year stretch from 1972 to 1983, now not a unmarried QB received the Heisman. However the tide became with the decisions of Andre Ware (1989) and Ty Detmer (1990). Quarterbacks have accounted for the final 3 Heisman winners, 8 of the final 9, 11 of 13, 16 of 19 and 21 of the final 30.
Operating backs can win it, regardless that — particularly in the event that they play at Alabama. The 3 non-quarterbacks to say the Heisman within the 21st century: Derrick Henry (2015), Mark Ingram (2009) and Reggie Bush (2005). The previous two backs had been on nationwide name groups with the Tide, whilst Bush famously performed for Southern Cal, regardless that on account of NCAA sanctions you’ll not see his identify at the reliable log of winners.
Large receivers slightly check in. Fast, identify each wideout who was once a Heisman finalist since Michigan’s Desmond Howard received it in 1991. The overall is 5: Alabama’s David Palmer (1993), Marshall’s Randy Moss (1997), Pitt’s Larry Fitzgerald (2003), Alabama’s Amari Cooper (2014) and Oklahoma’s Dede Westbrook (2016).
Neither do defensive gamers or (particularly) offensive linemen. Charles Woodson (1997) is the lone basically defensive participant to say the Heisman, regardless that there have been 4 finalists within the final 10 years (Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh in 2009, LSU’s Tyrann Mathieu in 2011, Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o in 2012 and Michigan’s Jabrill Peppers in 2016). You may well be shocked to be told there was an offensive lineman some of the finalists within the final 25 years: Ohio State’s Orlando Tempo in 1996.
It’s preferrred to be on a top-five workforce within the ultimate common season ratings. Such has been the case for 23 of the final 28 Heisman winners. The exceptions: Florida’s Tim Tebow (the Gators had been 9th within the AP ballot coming into the postseason in 2007), Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel (10th in 2012), Baylor’s Robert Griffin III (15th in 2011), Louisville’s Lamar Jackson (15th in 2016) and Texas’s Ricky Williams (20th in 1998).
So the place does that depart issues because the season approaches its midpoint?
1. QB Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama (1,718 yards, 23 TD, Zero INT passing; 45 yards, 2 TD speeding). The Pink Tide superstar exams the entire containers: A quarterback with identify reputation in response to previous exploits who’s enjoying virtually flawlessly this season for the country’s No. 1 workforce.
2. QB Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma (1,523 yards, 14 TD, 2 INT passing; 499 yards, 7 TD speeding). Technically now not on a top-five workforce nowadays (the Sooners sit down at No. 6), the previous Alabama starter may transform the 3rd consecutive Quicker quarterback to win the Heisman — and the 3rd in a row to have transferred into Norman.
Three. QB Joe Burrow, LSU (1,864 yards, 22 TD, Three INT passing; 62 yards, 2 TD speeding). The season’s breakout superstar and the chief of the Tigers’ revitalized offense, Burrow has showdowns with Florida, Auburn and Alabama coming within the subsequent month.
Four. QB Justin Fields, Ohio State (1,298 yards, 18 TD, 1 INT passing; 283 yards, eight TD speeding). And right here’s a 3rd switch in a row. Fields had no hassle settling into a celeb position with the Buckeyes after getting back from Georgia.
Five. RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin (745 yards, 12 TD speeding; 12 receptions for 114 yards and four TD). The junior nosed previous Melvin Gordon for 3rd at the Badgers’ occupation speeding checklist final week and is 225 yards clear of passing Montee Ball for moment.
6. RB Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State (1,094 yards, 13 TD speeding; Five receptions for 22 yards). Difficult to argue in opposition to the inclusion of the country’s main rusher, a workhorse who could also be tops within the FBS in carries with 162 (18 greater than second-place A.J. Dillon of Boston School).
7. RB J.Okay. Dobbins, Ohio State (826 yards, 6 TD speeding; 7 receptions for 44 yards and 1 TD). The junior is averaging 7.12 yards in keeping with lift, and whilst the top-five highlight is helping, the presence of a potent quarterback most certainly limits Dobbins’s ceiling on this workout.
5 with essentially the most at stake in Week 7
1. Texas. The Pink River Shootout-Competition-Showdown-Whatchamacallit has taken on a number of names through the years. Without reference to what you name it, this yr it’s maximum veritably a playoff eliminator recreation for the Longhorns. Texas (Four-1) fell at house to LSU final month, and a stumble in opposition to Oklahoma most certainly creates an excessive amount of of an opening for the Longhorns to make up — particularly in a season that has confirmed so chalky for the preliminary favorites.
2a. Florida and 2b. LSU. There’s a superb slate of video games this week, however a collision of unbeatens in Loss of life Valley tops the checklist. Florida (6-Zero, Three-Zero SEC) had simply its most important end result to this point when it upended Auburn at house, whilst LSU (Five-Zero, 1-Zero) leads the rustic in scoring at 54.6 features in keeping with recreation. The loser isn’t utterly knocked out of the playoff race, however the winner can have a end result that are meant to end up helpful.
Three. Oklahoma. The Sooners (Five-Zero) received’t get a lot assist from their nonconference time table (Houston, South Dakota, UCLA) and the Large 12 seems lengthy on attention-grabbing groups however quick on professional top-20 contenders. Jalen Hurts and Co. may triumph over a midseason loss to Texas, however this turns out like one of these season a 12-1 Oklahoma workforce would now not be a surefire playoff pick out. Higher to knock off what seems to be the second-best workforce within the Large 12.
Four. Notre Dame. The Combating Irish (Four-1) may already be within the style-points trade as they chase a moment playoff berth in a row. Their time table isn’t going to assist a lot, however their subsequent two checks are most certainly the hardest last. Notre Dame may use an outstanding victory over unpredictable Southern Cal prior to an open date after which a commute to defense-first Michigan.
Five. Penn State. Top at the checklist of puts no playoff contender needs to seek advice from is Iowa Town. Iowa toppled an undefeated Michigan workforce at house in November 2016 and completed off Ohio State’s playoff hopes with a 55-24 blowout the next yr. The Nittany Lions know the hazards smartly; they had been a top-five workforce in 2017 once they scored a landing at the recreation’s ultimate play to flee 21-19. Penn State (Five-Zero, 2-Zero Large Ten) will get Iowa because it comes off its first loss, a 10-Three choice at Michigan.