The 32 issues we realized from Week 6 of the 2020 NFL season:
1. I love to suppose I do know the NFL – admittedly, a few of my favourite Tweeps like to disagree – however days like Sunday serve a wanted reminder that one simply by no means is aware of on this maximum unpredictable league. Inexperienced Bay were given trounced by means of Tampa Bay, the second one week in a row the No. 1 group in my energy scores (first the Chiefs, now the Packers) misplaced. The supposedly resurgent Browns seemed fraudulent. The Dan Quinn-less (and up to now winless) Falcons resembled a playoff group. The Patriots fell to 2-Three for the primary time since 2001. The Ravens confirmed why they could be the most efficient group within the league for 3 quarters … after which gave up 22 to the Eagles within the ultimate one. Pass determine – I will for sure proceed attempting.
2. The Seahawks, Steelers and Titans (slightly) at the moment are the one final unbeatens. Which one will have to be energy ranked No. 1? I will throw a dart and assist you to know Tuesday morning.
Three. New York stepped forward to 1-11, the Giants breaking via for his or her first win of the season. The Jets, then again, dropped to Zero-6.
Four. The Colts trailed the Bengals 21-Zero in the second one quarter however stormed again to be successful 31-27. A minimum of one group in all six weeks of this season has surmounted no less than a 16-point deficit to win, one thing that by no means took place within the league’s first 100 seasons.
Five. The Jets were given throttled by means of Miami, the primary group to be close out in 2020.
6. Adam Gase used to be in truth 16-Eight in South Florida whilst training the Dolphins. However, no wonder, he is Zero-2 at Miami since changing into trainer of the Jets.
7. 2020 scoreboard: Tom Brady Four, Invoice Belichick 2.
Eight. The Fight of the Bays used to be anything else however because the Buccaneers humiliated the Packers 38-10. Aaron Rodgers, who hadn’t been intercepted all season coming into the sport, threw two in a span of 3 passes – together with the 0.33 pick-six of his profession.
nine. Great to look TE Rob Gronkowski achieve the tip zone for the primary time since he joined Tampa Bay. It used to be Gronk’s first TD catch since he and Tom Brady final connected for the Patriots on Dec. nine, 2018 – 679 days in the past.
10. Want to win a sport? Fireplace your trainer. Meantime HCs at the moment are 2-Zero of their 2020 debuts, the Falcons’ Raheem Morris following the Texans’ Romeo Crennel into the win column.
11. The Bucs’ rout of Inexperienced Bay approach the Packers and Bears at the moment are tied atop the NFC North at Five-1. I do know you are loving it, Chicago enthusiasts … as you will have to.
12. The Bears proceed to fight mightily whilst working the ball – averaging 2.Five yards in step with raise Sunday at Carolina – however QB Nick Foles punched in a TD on 1-yard sneak, making Chicago the final NFL group to attain issues within the 0.33 quarter this season.
13. The Browns nonetheless have not gained in Pittsburgh since 2003.
14. Which is to additionally say, Steelers QB (and Ohio local) Ben Roethlisberger hasn’t ever misplaced to Cleveland at Heinz Box.
15. The Steelers at the moment are Five-Zero for most effective the second one time in franchise historical past, the opposite being 1978 – when the Metal Curtain went directly to win Tremendous Bowl XIII. However although Pittsburgh thrashed the Browns (now Four-2) 38-7 on Sunday, the Steelers’ different 4 wins have come towards warring parties with a mixed 5 wins.
16. Congrats to Giants rookie head trainer Joe Pass judgement on, the final of the 5 new head coaches in 2020 to notch a win. His particular groups background unquestionably helped, the G-Males overlaying an onside kick within the ultimate minute way more successfully than, say, the Falcons would.
17. The Titans’ 601 yards of offense of their 42-36 extra time defeat of the Texans have been probably the most in franchise historical past, besting the former mark of the 1991 Houston Oilers (583 yards).
Tennessee Titans working again Derrick Henry (22) celebrates as he leaves the sector after scoring the profitable landing in extra time towards the Houston Texans at Nissan Stadium. (Picture: Christopher Hanewinckel, USA TODAY Sports activities)
18. Tennessee is the one group within the final 70 years to win a sport after enjoying the former Tuesday. In fact, the 2010 Vikings have been the one different membership since 1950 that had the chance to drag that off.
19. After racking up 212 dashing yards Sunday, Titans RB Derrick Henry become the primary guy in NFL annals to put up a 200-yard effort at the floor in 3 successive seasons.
19a. Houston has allowed an opposing rusher to realize no less than 130 yards thrice this season.
20. Ravens DL Calais Campbell produced no less than 3 sacks in a sport for the fourth time in his profession Sunday. Alternatively Campbell did not get a ton of lend a hand from his Baltimore teammates, who entered Week 6 with the NFL’s No. 1 scoring protection. The Ravens allowed 28 issues and 364 yards in Philadelphia, maximum they might surrendered on both entrance in any in their 5 wins of 2020.
20a. Excellent factor Baltimore scored 30 issues – the 29th consecutive regular-season sport by which the Ravens notched no less than 20. Simplest Peyton Manning and the 2012-2014 Broncos have an extended streak (30 video games) in NFL historical past.
21. Given the seeming volatility of this season, do not rely out Detroit simply but. The Lions handled the Jaguars 34-16, Jacksonville the only team they’ve faced that didn’t have at least three wins in the first five weeks.
22. Bummer to see Andrew Siciliano’s Favre-ian streak of 260 consecutive starts on DirecTV’s Sunday Ticket Red Zone Channel, which launched in 2005, come to an end due to a positive COVID-19 test. Siciliano subsequently had a negative retest Sunday morning but chose to stay home in deference to the safety of the Red Zone Channel’s production team. Siciliano is one of the nicer guys you’ll meet on the media side of this industry – here’s hoping for a confirmed false positive … or a speedy recovery if need be.
22a. Siciliano stays safely forward of Colts QB Philip Rivers, whose streak of 230 consecutive regular-season begins started in 2006 and reached 230 Sunday – a determine that allowed him to go Corridor of Famer Bruce Matthews for fourth maximum in league historical past … although nonetheless 30 shy of Siciliano’s Iron guy streak.
23. Sunday used to be most effective the 5th time within the final 5 steady seasons that Falcons WR Julio Jones had two TDs in a single sport. He is by no means had 3.
24. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins has 20 multi-interception video games in his profession after throwing 3 alternatives Sunday. His group is Zero-20 on such days.
25. Jon Brown become the 5th kicker to attain for the Jags this 12 months, connecting on a 31-year box purpose and an additional level. What makes that performances distinctive for Brown? It marked the primary time the 27-year-old, a former school football participant, had ever tried a FG or PAT right through a sport at any stage of soccer. Possibly Jacksonville will have to let Brown play quarterback, too … and even trainer.
26. Talking of kickers, Denver’s Brandon McManus 18, New England 12. Who says particular groups is most effective one-third of the sport?
27. Patriots WR Julian Edelman, who performed quarterback at Kent State, tried two passes in an NFL sport for the primary time in his 12-year profession – finishing each for 38 yards, together with a 16-yarder to QB Cam Newton. Edelman, who used to be way more efficient Sunday than Newton (2 INTs) – it seems that rusty following his COVID-19 quarantine – has now hooked up on all six of the regular-season throws he is tried as a professional.
28. Dolphins rookie QB Tua Tagovailoa made his NFL debut Sunday, finishing two throws for nine yards. He is were given far to visit be as just right a passer as Edelman.
29. The Jets appear to have only a few gamers to construct round, however S Marcus Maye – unsigned past this season – could be one. He snared one of the crucial crazies interceptions you’ll be able to ever see Sunday.
30. Give Washington Soccer Crew trainer “Riverboat” Ron Rivera issues for consistency. He went for 2 quite than kick a game-tying further level with 36 seconds final in his group’s 20-19 loss to the Giants. Rivera benched beginning QB Dwayne Haskins two weeks in the past as a result of he felt Washington may triumph over a susceptible NFC East. Rivera’s evaluate is also off, however no less than the message is unwavering.
31. Giants QB Daniel Jones has a team-high 204 dashing yards after bolting for a career-high 74 on Sunday. Excellent factor he can run for his existence – in contrast to predecessor Eli Manning, who by no means ran for greater than 80 yards … in a season.
32. This turns out apropos given the Jets are lovely obviously the NFL’s 32nd-best group – and the league’s most effective winless outfit after the Giants and Falcons each gained. New York now formally owns the news to the No. 1 choose of the 2021 draft, which can virtually for sure be spent on Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence. In fact, the one time the Jets up to now began Zero-6 used to be 1996, once they completed 1-15. However they did not get to make use of the highest choose of the 1997 draft on Peyton Manning … as a result of he opted to play his senior season for the College of Tennessee. New York in the long run dealt the No. 1 variety to the Rams, who used it on Ohio State OT Orlando Tempo.
Practice USA TODAY Sports activities’ Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis
In the event you love speaking soccer, we now have the very best spot for you. Sign up for our Fb Workforce, The Ruling Off the Box, to interact in pleasant debate and dialog with fellow soccer enthusiasts and our NFL insiders. Do the fitting factor, enroll now!